22.9.05

and life continues...

mmm...I can smell dinner being cooked right now--there must be some crazy ventilation system here, because every night in my third-floor attic room, I can smell the food cooking almost as strongly as if I was right in the kitchen. *Prepare yourself, this is probably going to be one of those "stream of consciousness" entries.*

So, since I've mentioned the smell of dinner, I suppose this would be an opportune time to talk a little bit about my host family and our dinners. The two go together at this point, in my mind, because dinner is the only time of day that I spend with my host parents at this point. It is quite the fun (and sometimes tiring) experience. The food itself so far has been out of this world. Or maybe just out of what my world used to be ;) There is always a TON of food to be eaten, and it is quite, quite scrumptious. For example--one night this week, we had (in no particular order): red beans, couscous, stewed vegetables, lamb, salad, bread (of course--our family goes through five or six baguettes each day, between breakfast and bedtime), and potatos. That was the main course. This was accompanied (as always) by peppermint tea, red wine, and water. Then comes the cheese--probably my favorite part of the meal. Four or five different kinds, usually, and then fresh raspberries, too! J'adore les framboises fraiches! Finally, there's coffee. Usually it takes us around two hours to eat all of this! It's nice to have such a nice dinner, since during the day, I have found it awkward to stop and eat very much, and I'm always very hungry by dinner time!

The atmosphere at dinner is something I really enjoy--it's perfectly suited to my natural preferences. We eat late, usually after 8:00, and haven't yet left the table before 10:00. Though the food is amazing, the presentation and eating of it is very laid-back, very animated, and just kind of homey. Conversation is always interesting, but for now I do much more listening than talking--since it's all in French, and we all know how timid I can be. I am glad to be able to say that I rarely misunderstand conversations--knowing what is being said and what I'm listening for is very good for my language skills (and lack thereof), even if I'm only practicing my own speaking from time to time. My host parents usually eat with us, and one or two of their children (who are between the ages of 17 and 30-something). Another great thing--Madame Chantal is a French teacher at a collège here (middle school), and so she never hesitates to correct us when we make mistakes, and is patient in explaining things we miss. I think my host family situation is very good--I'm very thankful for where I was placed!

Jean-Jacques, the father, is a nice man--a bit eccentric, perhaps, but very interesting and quite entertaining. The top of his head is bare, but he has fuzzy, curly, white hair growing to his shoulders from the sides. He wears thick glasses that make his eyes look perpetually, if mildly, astonished. A magnifying glass around his neck, speaks in a gravelly deep voice, and is always very expressive about most aspects of eating--which cheeses are the best, why meat should always be rare, how you simply cannot have a decent meal without wine or good company, etc. Very French, in general.

I have met two of their daughters--no, three. Maude, Jen, and Anne. They are sweet and always make rapid conversation. Manu (a boyfriend) lives out in the back of the house (there are three apartment-like areas, occupied by family members who are grown up and pretty much lead their own lives) with Jen. He seems very nice, and is good with computers. He repaired the internet connection on the computer that we Americans share, and has in this way won my undying loyalty and affection.

Rameses is one of the dogs--the one who lives in this part of the house. He like to sit up in my attic room and keep watch for D'yon and I in the evenings. Oh, and I can't forget--we also have a pregnant guinea pig. So--life here is bustling to say the least, which I thoroughly enjoy.

So, that's my living situation. My day? A good one. The weather here has warmed up to a pleasant 23 degrees celsius--perfect for a morning in the Musée D'Orsay and an afternoon with some new friends in the Luxembourg Gardens. I suppose that's all I have to tell for today (It was rather a lot), except to say that I *might* be able to post some pictures tomorrow if I can get to the ISA office with my laptop.

A bientôt!

No comments: