12.9.05

one step closer...

I wish I was able to give a good update here--maybe those will come soon. For the time being, I'm glad to be able to give quick updates, if only because it makes me feel less disconnected from everything that's familiar. I picture you guys reading this, and I feel less isolated here.

So, what should I tell you to convey this crazy experience? I don't think anythin I write would do it justice, but I think I can succeed at giving you a general idea of my new life, such as it is at the moment. First off, if you guys don't realize this, the French have a very different keyboard than we do in the states. This is why I haven't written much even though I have so much to say. I'm getting faster, but it is still rather a laborious process, this typing.

I think I'll start off with a quick recap of the hard things, so that I can end up on a good note by retelling all of the things I'm so thankful for. Basically, everything that we have done the since we arrived has been made much harder because of complete exhaustion. I don't think I am really jet-lagged, because it seems perfectly natural that it is 16:30 here, and bizarre that it could be only10:30 at home. Just worn out from the travel and language and unfamiliarity. Not to mention all that luggage that we have been carting all around the metro and the streets of Paris. We definitely both had an emotional breakdown last night after sleeping for a few hours and waking up at around 3:00. We took turns encouraging each other, and after a good cry, we both went back to sleep amidst the city noises. It feels worse being here at night, when I have more time to think about how displaced and lonely I feel right now--it's always better in the daylight, and each day we are a little bit closer to figuring out how this crazy city works. I know it will be hard for a while, but I knew that when I signed on for all of this. I covet your prayers right now, though!

There are so many things to be thankful for. It's amazing how we have been provided for in so many areas. For one, I'm writing from the computers at the ISA office. Which means that Amy and I managed to navigate our way to a place where we can drop off our bags before heading off to Florence. It is such a relief to our aching bodies to be rid of our extra hundred pounds or so each. We are definitely so glad to be taking one big backpack between the two of us. Another thing to be thankful for is that we carried every imortant part of our lives around on our backs and in our hands in a large, unfamiliar city for two days, and haven't had any of it lost or stolen. Another blessing was just having a place to settle for a while at the hostel. I have never been so glad to have a place to stretch out and relax.

I have so much more to say, so much more good stuff to say--but Amy is about ready to go (we're hungry), so I'll try to wrap up. Things I have learned in the last 24 hours:

The French are not rude in general, if they see that you are at least attempting to speak to them in French, or at least ask permission to speak English. We have been met with so many people who have been quite gracious to us--from the innkeeper at the hotel who understood why we slept through checkout to the dozen or so men helping Amy and I up and down stairs with luggage in the metro to the people willing to give us directions and then repeat those same directions to confused Americans.

I really can only depend on my heavenly Father for protection and provision. Amy and I arrived with no idea what was ahead of us, but so far we've been safe and fed and in the places we need to be. And we can only give him credit for that, because we really are the only ones here in Paris looking out for us. Trusting is a good thing to learn.

I am capable of more than I would have thought.

Lastly: The world does not come to an end if you board the right metro line going in the wrong direction.

Time to eat--first food of the day at 17:00!

Missing home,

em

No comments: