21.6.08

(fainting goat barbecue)

After spending a day in domestic gear (laundry groceries baking brisket-rubbing cleaning), I trotted off to meet Ann and Drew (who else) for my very first pig roast. By now, I'm convinced that it's one of the very best ways to wind up the longest day of the year and the celebrate the official start of summer. 

I'd never been to Crabtree Farms before, and didn't even know it existed before this summer. Ann and Drew are members of the community farming project, which is how I was acquainted with the venue/host of the pig roast. It seems like a really interesting, positive concept and practice, so it was no surprise that there were plenty of fascinating people to watch and meet. All the food (and even most of the beer) was local, fresh, and completely tasty. 

On the menu and my plate: 

fainting goat or pork with barbecue sauce
served on fresh bakery buns
accompanied by giant-chunk potato salad
spicy baked beans
and colorful not-too-mayonaisey cole slaw

The best part was dessert: 

perfect barely sweet drop biscuit
topped with blueberry compote and 
fresh heavy whipped cream
(...oh the biscuit!)

So now I can add goat to the list of meats I've tried, and "seek out unique community opportunities" to the list of life-enriching character adjustments to make. 

All in all a good day's work (play). 

---------------------
Don't know what a fainting goat is?  
---------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.