7.10.08

(first day of school)

Monday was a big day, for sure--my first "first day of school" at a primary school in 12 years! And let me just say that it is quite bizarre to belong with the group of teachers surveying recess instead of the buzzing mass of students on the playground.

For this week, my job is to observe the classes I will start teaching on Monday. I've met tons of kids and teachers in the four schools I'll be working at, and while I feel overwhelmed by the newness and a bit frightened at my responsibilities, I'm very encouraged by the raw enthusiasm of the students whose faces light up as soon as they hear that the exotic American lady will be coming to teach them English. Hopefully, their enthusiasm will make up for the lack thereof I've already sensed in a few of their teachers...

So. Keep your fingers crossed (and your thumbs pressed) that all will go smoothly as I get my feet under me in the classrooms and with the lesson planning for all the different ages and levels--this is a completely new endeavor for me! Hopefully my eager 6-10 year-olds won't notice that I'm just a little terrified of them. I'm going to try my best not to let on, and to have some good, educational fun with them. Deep down, I think it will be great.

1 comment:

Bolder said...

Let me know if you need ideas! Just a few short years ago I was heading into the same adventure... in quite possibly the same schools. I've got tons of books and lessons, so don't hesitate;)