7.7.09

(america)

Well, there you have it. After a 25 hour train ride, a happy weekend of parties in Berlin, and a 23 hour plane adventure, I've made it safe and sound at least as far as Atlanta. It's strange to be back, as expected, and I'm not even quite "back" yet--James is picking me up from Molly's apartment later this morning, which I'm at because my awesome old roommate came to get me when I didn't make my last flight. There will be more updates soon--there's even a play-by-play of my train ride that I'll be posting here soon, when I have my own computer up and running and am a bit more settled.

Coming home to a place that doesn't feel like home anymore is always strange, but a generally positive experience, all the same. Homesickness for a life in Europe that already seems so far away is setting in, but I'm enjoying the rediscovery of American pleasures I'd forgotten about: I could grab a sandwich at midnight, Molly poured me up a big glass of milk to drink with a Savannah pecan praline, there's air conditioning to combat the oppressive humidity, and I'm certainly excited about the series of giant reunion-hugs coming my way oh-so-soon.

On the neither up nor down side, however--I'm not sure how I feel about arriving home and finding out that the pennies look different. Even though it feels like I might never have left at all, there are those little elements that reassure me that a great year in Europe isn't a figment of my imagination, after all.

But seriously, what's up with changing the pennies?

3 comments:

Virginia said...

Welcome back! Sure is good to know your feet are planted here, even if just ever-so-briefly. If I don't get to see you while you are here, consider yourself hugged!

Jonathan said...

welcome back! when are you coming up to see us?

Anonymous said...

It's very strange to have you talking about Molly, your family, Atlanta... it even seems distant and oddly displaced for me, and I haven't even left the country.

And the pennies? I don't even know when that happened, either. I guess around the same time they came out with the other half of the western United States in quarters?

I miss tea and skype dates.