15.8.09

(por fin)

Por fin means "finally."

After weeks of struggle to get my mac connected to the seemingly incompatible wifi at my host family's house, I now have the kind of internet access I am more accustomed to. For you guys, this means two things that had been too scarce since my arrival in Chile: blog posts and skype dates.

As I write, my host family is finalizing preparation to get on the road to Temuco for the weekend, so I only have a short moment to let you all know that I am, in fact, alive and thriving waaaaaaaaaay down South in Rio Bueno, Chile.

Get ready for some bullet points with the basics of my new life:

  • Río Bueno is a small town (about 15,000 inhabitants) on a low plateau, at the foot of which runs the "Good River"--Río Bueno. Nobody was feeling very creative on the days they named stuff here--The river is Río Bueno, the town next to it is Río Bueno, and I´m working at the oldest public school which is called--you guessed it--Escuela (school) Río Bueno. At least it´s not all called Río Malo (Bad River), right?
  • My host family is very nice and full of women. My host dad Tío Beño (short for Bernardo) is the only guy around and is a fantastic cook. He makes lunch for us (the main meal here) every day, with white bread and everything else from scratch. Last night he stayed up late making us empanadas for our trip. My host mom, Tía Adela, is a teacher at my school, as is her daughter, Caren (who's my age). They teach 2nd grade and special ed, respectively. Tía Adela is very motherly, which I almost always appreciate ;) It's an adjustment coming to live with a family after 6 years of living on my own with friends, that's for sure. During the school week, a cousin named Belén lives with us. She´s almost 18 and studies at the semi-private school in town, but her family lives in the country. She is completely precious and is probably the most patient with me and my cultural/linguistic deficiencies. I saved the best for last: la Josefa Emilia. Josefa is Caren's 6-month-old daughter, who livens up the house. She's a very happy baby, and a pleasure to come home to after school. We're teaching her English, and I swear she totally understands the term "happy feet."
  • The school has been a challenge, to say the least. I have to admit that I'm disappointed with my co-teacher (the full-time regular English teacher who is supposed to direct our course of study and "guide me along" in supporting with speaking and listening skills what she teaches). Suffice it to say that I am getting no leadership from her, and have to struggle to get her to even make lesson plans for me to work with. (She doesn't have time to make lesson plans, apparently). The classroom promised in order to receive a volunteer is still not ready, but they said Monday...hopefully so--I can't wait to get in there on my own with the students and start involving and encouraging them.
  • It's cold! Everyone tells me that Winter is on it's way out here, but I'm not totally convinced... Here, central heating is practically unheard of, and the heat for houses and stoves comes from wood burning. I'm getting more used to being chilly, but one of my favorite parts of the day is still climbing into my warm bed at night--it's got two thick blankets, a sheet, a fleece blanket, and a heavy down cover, as well! I'm looking forward to sunnier, warmer weather, and promises of cookouts in the country to celebrate the National Holiday on 18 September.
Well, that's all I've got time for, now. Pictures to come soon--promise! But for now I'm heading off with the hosties.

2 comments:

A Bookish Woman said...

It's good to hear something about your new life! I was telling Charlie the other day how much I miss you and am curious about it all. Hope we can catch up soon. We get our Internet installed September 3, so Skype dates will be possible then.

La Framéricaine said...

Congratulations on beginning to get settled! I came to visit you by way of Betty C's blogroll and am delighted that I did.

I am rapidly moving away from the left coast of the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave into central France but with a 3 month detour to the Yucatan to study Spanish before settling in France for good.

I would like to go to visit in Chile so it is nice to get in on the beginning of your new life/blog there.

Best of luck and have a wonderful day with your host family!