25.11.08

(brr)

Here's something I love about winter (which has definitively arrived in Rodez): I love coming home at the end of the day and breaking free from layers. It's a furtive activity, and I usually go about it with as much urgency as the kid who starts taking their pants off en route to the bathroom. It's such a release to dial up the radiator and absorb heat in my hoodie and leggings, rather than bind up every part of me (especially the sad little toes) in a semi-successful attempt to trap the bits of heat I produce on my own.

Today, in addition to the excellent (near) disrobing after a frigid, productive day, I put on a pot of coffee just for me, cozied up on the clic-clac with my knitting (I know, I know), and have been contentedly wiggling my toes ever since; It's as delicious as a cup of mulled wine after hours at a drizzly winter rugby match. :-)

In honor of today's chilly weather, I'm posting some pictures from the first snow in Rodez. For a southerner and a Colombian, even this slight dusting was quite an event!
The town cathedral. It's almost at the summit of the hill/town, and a convenient way for newcomers to orient themselves.

Poor flower market. That vendor must have been a trooper!

Sandra (the roommate) touching the very first snow she ever saw. We had quite the gleeful time that morning as the rest of the ruthénois (people from Rodez) carried about their business with sour expressions and carefully-placed steps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could see my breath last night in Houston. But it's about 74 F today, so...