27.11.08

('appy fahnksgeeveeng)

Just pronounce the title phonetically, and you'll get an idea of the "Happy Thanksgivings" I've been getting from my students this week! (Or watch Capucine again and imagine her saying it.)

I have really enjoyed teaching my students about Thanksgiving--none of them had ever heard of it before, and it's refreshing to present such a nice part of American culture to everyone. (There was a brief interlude of guilt when one of my fifth graders asked me if Thanksgiving was to celebrate the European massacre of the Indians for their land...I'm always surprised by what my kids have heard about and don't always know how to respond in the context of the lesson.) The best moment so far was hearing the giggling, amazed 6-year-olds behind me as I put the finishing touches on the hand-turkey I drew on the board for them. I was surprised by how into turkey-drawing they got, energized by this totally foreign art form that American kids know practically from birth. Otherwise, it's been fun hearing what they're thankful for--from red fish to puppies to siblings to winning the race last week to birthday parties (and lots of nintendos).

I'm thankful for things, too--and here's a sample from my life since moving to Rodez:

-Skype
-Packages from home
-Good legs for Rodez transport
-A stranger-flatmate who turned out not to be crazy, mean, dirty or loud
-Mulled wine
-Radiators
-Helpful butchers (I finally found a turkey today!)
-Lots of sleep and free time
-Enthusiastic students (no--seriously, my littlest ones jumped up and cheered when I announced that we still had three minutes left today!)
-Scarves
-Dinner parties
-Did I mention radiators?

And for now, that's it. I've got to get to bed so I can be the best bright-eyed, bushy-tailed American possible for the last round of Thanksgiving classes tomorrow.

Hope you all had a great, grateful day! Think of me when you enjoy that leftover turkey sandwich tomorrow.

1 comment:

Betty Carlson said...

Hasn't it been just frickin' freezing? I've been cold about 3/4 of the time for weeks now.

I hope your Thanksgiving celebration went well!