15.11.08

(orange november market)

Today was a beautiful, bright, and very chilly day, which I started off with my weekly trip to one of the highlights of Rodez life--the Saturday markets! I soaked up the sunlight and wandered from table to table, market to market, conducting pleasant inner debates about which yummy treats I should choose this week. By the end of the morning, I was headed home with far more than I intended to buy--but the produce is all so delicious and fresh and fallish that I don't even feel any buyer's remorse :) As I unloaded everything out onto the table at home, I was struck by the vibrant orange pervading this week's choices: a nice slice of pumpkin, clementines, carrots, sweet potatoes, and a fruit I'd never had before called kaki. And, though it was the orange produce stealing the visual show today chez moi, I'm equally excited about the fresh regional tome fraƮche cheese, the "Mona Lisa" variety potatoes, celery stalks, and eggs (which are still in need of a good rinsing, as they've still got hay and feathers stuck to the shells).

I'm going to celebrate by having some friends over for some Pumpkin and Sweet Potato soup tonight...and provided the soup turns out well (new recipe), I think it will be the perfect way to wind up an exquisite Saturday.

4 comments:

Bolder said...

So nice to see how you're enjoying Rodez! I would still love to meet up sometime, so don't hesitate to send me a message. The clementines are delicious right now... think I may go eat one!

Virginia said...

You take amazing pictures! I hope you enjoy your dinner this evening. I miss you!

A Bookish Woman said...

That sounds lovely. I want to eat soup with you in Rodez!

Betty Carlson said...

That is one beautiful picture. I had to think twice when I read about the weather -- oh right, that was LAST weekend!